We're an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. There is no cost to you. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
A CB radio is a vital gadget for any trail ride you embark on in your Jeep. Nothing is more annoying than not being able to communicate with your fellow riders when you’re off the grid and braving wild terrain. CB radios add to the comradery and banter between Jeep trail friends but also is a must for communication on difficult paths when needing to clear up any confusion.
To put it simply, cell phones are just not good enough on an off-road ride. You cannot put your safety in the hands of “no service” areas. If you’re thinking about fitting a CB radio in your Jeep, you’re one of many who have seen the need for it. It’s a great tool to have to chat with friends on the trail but remains a crucial safety feature if you need assistance. It has been a dependable communication tool since the 1970s and today, most organized trail rides require participants to have their own CB radio fitted to update participants on trail conditions, hazards, and delays.
After carefully reviewing dozens of products, we have shortlisted the 8 best CB radios for your Jeep:
Editor’s Choice – Cobra 29LTD Professional CB Radio
This radio is well-liked by off-road drivers and fits in almost any vehicle because of its compact size. Don’t worry about disrupted signals and difficult talkback, it offers 40 channels and has a built-in automatic noise limiter and auto-squelch to improve communication on the wildest of trails.
- Measures 4.50 x 6.75 x 1.38 inches
- Weighs 1.62 pounds
- 4-watt CB transmitter with a range of up to 9 miles
- RF gain diminish noise in the receiver without diminishing reception effectiveness
- Transmits on 40 channels
- Sturdy device for the inclement weather and activity
- Microphone with elongated spiraled cord for convenient use while driving
- Signal strength meter which shows the strength of incoming and outgoing signals
- A dedicated channel for emergency use
- Self-regulating Noise Limiter which reduces the volume of unwanted noise
- Built-in PA system with an outlet to plug in an external speaker enabling sound to carry inside and beyond your Jeep
- Squelch regulator
- Superheterodyne circuit with technology that guarantees rigorous frequency control.
This product has been praised for its long-lasting durability and value for money. Those whose Jeeps are fitted without roof or doors and have taken their CB-fitted Jeep through splashy waters and rain have complimented its sturdiness and clarity of the signal.
Many consumers have been impressed by the “loud and clear” they have received when talking back to those in the area. They appreciate the usefulness of the noise-canceling microphone. Some customers say that it doesn’t have a scan feature, which some consumers were hoping for.
This was a favorite CB radio to review, and the ratings and favorable views make it the best choice for many Jeep off-trail enthusiasts. You will get great value for money for this buy, and its hard-wearing radio and crystal-clear signal makes it a favorable purchase.
The standout feature of Uniden PRO520XL Pro is how small and simple the radio is, which is great if you don’t want this radio to take up too much room. With this product, you get what you pay for.
It’s easy to install and offers strong reception and transmission. The mic works well. One sticking point is that it doesn’t give you access to weather channels like many of its competitors and the display doesn’t work well in daylight due to the LED screen.
This Midland 1001LWX mobile CB (learn more) comes with some nifty features, for those not looking to splurge and who appreciate simplicity. The built-in weather scan instantly locates the local weather channel – super helpful to plan out your day on the trails. The Adjustable Rf Gain Control adjusts the sensitivity range to assist with communication and the noise limiter improves reception for a weak signal.
- Messures 9.8 x 9.2 x 2.5 inches
- Weighs 2.161 pounds
- 4-Watt Output Power
- Easy to Read Backlit LCD
- Mobile CB with built-in weather scanner
- Adjustable Rf Gain Control
- Automatic Noise Limiter
This little radio has received many compliments especially for its accurate weather reports and will inform you with up to the minute updates during hazardous weather. The radio is not fancy, but it is solid for your off-roading adventures. Some complain that the changing of channels is finicky and that it needs a good antenna to pair it with. The display is readable while driving and makes for an excellent starter radio.
Many consumers have appreciated its lightness and have praised how they can hear conversations between 3-5 miles away. There are concerns that the LCD brightness of the display cannot be adjusted and that the mic is not made of sturdy material. There are also complaints of it giving a little more static than some of its competitors.
This is a great CB radio for those purchasing their first CB. The weather frequencies offer added value and will be helpful off-road in inclement weather. It does exactly what it needs to do, no frills no fuss, and offers a basic solution to your off-road communication needs. It’s not the cheapest radio on the market, but for what you’re getting it may be worth the investment. With all its features it is a great choice and is recommended by many.
#3. President Andy
This President Andy AM USA 12/24V CB is a cleaner, modern-looking installation to suit your Jeep. It is compact if you have limited space and offers a great 2 to 5-mile range in communication. The automatic squelch control means you don’t have to constantly be adjusting the squelch or missing out on calls. There is also a weather channel that offers updates for those out of cell-phone signal range.
- Messures 6.89 x 4.93 x 1.77 inches
- Weighs 2 pounds
- 40 channels AM
- Easy-to-select navigation buttons
- Non-automatic squelch regulator
- Versatile LCD
- Roger Beep tone
- Transmission Monitor or echo effect
- Built-in PA system
- Access to weather channel and alert updates
- Front-facing microphone outlet
The clarity of the signal seems to be appreciated on this CB radio. Despite its size, users have been impressed by the variety of functions within the system. It has been hailed for its simplicity and reliability. Many drivers have appreciated the two-year warranty that comes with the unit. Some complaints have been that there is no dedicated weather button or a dedicated scanner key. Many are fans of the Roger beeps and talkback as well as the brilliant display screen.
This President ANDY USA CB Raido is a modern, simple communication tool that has a bright display screen. It’s a compact radio that can be surprising in the number of features it offers for its price. It’s a great tool for those who appreciate multi-function gadgets and good quality hardware for their Jeep.
This Cobra 29LTD Professional CB Radio prioritizes the safety and security of communication and understands that good quality hardware is needed in case of emergencies. The SWR calibration ensures the antenna system is operating at full strength, providing you with the best communication off-road.
The antenna warning indicator removes the estimating on how well your antenna is working and will alert you when it needs to be checked. With 40-channel access, this CB Radio offers you full coverage in communication.
- Measures 9.25 x 7.25 x 2.25 inches
- Weighs 3.35 pounds
- SWR Calibration
- Antenna warning alert
- 4-Watt output
- 40 Channels & Instant Channel 9
The Cobra 29LTD CB radio is considered a great product with strong ratings. Consumers felt that it was good value for money and is simple in its functions. There are complaints that some parts may be defective, but customer service seems prompt to assist.
Consumers have appreciated the emergency channel access and have felt safe and secure knowing that if they end up in an accident or distress, they will be able to seek assistance. It has a retro, old school look with backlighting.
This is a classic CB radio for someone who wants it for its most basic use. The retro aesthetic is appealing, and it has received great reviews from its affordability to its durability. The Cobra 29LTD radio is on the bigger size so keep that in mind when thinking about the space in your Jeep.
It is a quality product and offers sound transmission for your communication needs. You can’t go wrong with this product, and many consumers have gifted this CB radio to their loved ones. It’s easy to adjust when you’re out and about and offers a great range of communication.
The Cobra 29Lx offers an easy to read display, whether you’re driving during the daytime or nighttime. The NOAA weather channels ensure you’re the first to be updated on incoming hazards and inclement weather, 24 hours a day. Cobra’s scanner automatically tunes into the strongest weather channel and there is an alert tone to catch important weather notices. You will not miss important information while scanning through the channels.
- Messures 7.25 x 9.25 x 2.25 inches
- Weighs 3.5 pounds
- Choice of 4-color LCD
- NOAA® Weather & Emergency Alerts
- Clock and alarm
- Radio Check and Frequency Display
The NOAA is being praised for giving updates on weather change and will alert you even when the radio is switched off. It’s seen as a handy feature. A major compliment is the communication range that can get picked up with the transmitter – a consumer boasted that they picked up someone who was 20 miles away. A major complaint is that the radio may be a drain on your vehicle’s battery and it is always consuming power even when it is switched off.
This unit gets great reviews from consumers who have purchased it. If you’re someone who needs all the information at their disposal when setting out on a trail, the NOAA feature will be very useful to you. It is a great gadget for long-range communication.
This is an awesome little radio with very loud and clear audio. It is well designed to fit into any vehicle and is great for your road, and off-road trips. Made from high quality materials, the radio looks sturdy and durable. In terms of performance, it does a good job at receiving and transmitting signals.
Installation is easy as the manual contains all instructions required for a quick setup and a simple solder connection is enough to activate the CB function. The vertical antennas are positioned vertically on top of the roof, and the radio retains previous settings.
- Messures 4.1 x 4.3 x 1 inches
- Weighs 1 pounds
- High-power output 10-meter band radio
- Offers 400 channels to utilize
- Compact, sturdy-build crafted from alloy
- Self-regulating squelch control
- AM/FM radio
- Press-to-transmit functionality
- 1-year warranty
- Made for all types of vehicle
The reviews were very good for this radio and consumers were especially happy that they received great value for money. There were some complaints that the user manual was useless. Many consumers were impressed with the functions and the power of the small radio can do with the right set up.
There are also concerns that the RF Gain Function is actually RF Attenuation and works the opposite of what you would expect. The mic is not detachable, so keep that in mind if you’re considering what you wish to use your CB radio for. It is very highly recommended.
This is a great option for a radio if you’re not looking to spend a lot of money but still want a lot of bang for your buck. It has all the necessary functions to communicate off-road and will ensure that you have a basic transmission at all times.
The CB-27 CB Radio boasts a sleek and stylish appearance to give your jeep a major overhaul. When you driving on a rugged terrain on the unbeaten path, the 9 levels of Squelch Controls block the background static to ensure you get a smooth audio experience.
Equipped with a removable microphone, this portable radio is easy to package and carry when needed. It comes with a built-in speaker to amplify audio an all necessary accessories and hardware for quick installation.
- Measures 4.29 x 4.09 x 0.94 inches
- Weighs 1.55 pounds
- Ultra-compact and portable
- AM radio station
- Squelch Control
- A dedicated channel for emergency use
- Detachable microphone
- 4-Watt output
- Can connect external speaker
Consumers love that the radio is so small and compact that it can fit anywhere. There are some complaints that the radio is not that loud as the speaker is very small, so keep this in mind if the doors and roof are off in your Jeep.
To some consumers, the mic feels very cheap which seems to be the only major complaint. The simple set up makes the radio easy to use. The audio was clear and performed well.
This unit is impressive to many who have purchased it. Once you fit it, you’re connected immediately and ready to head out on your next adventure. It’s perfect for those who are looking for a radio that is simple, easy to use, and will offer you basic communication, especially if you’re a casual off-rider.
Stay connected with this CB radio, on long drives, or when you’re really off the grid. The display is large and easy to read with a changeable display color to match your preferences, whether you’re driving at night or day. Your safety and security are top of mind with access to a dedicated emergency channel and NOAA Weather updates. With noise-canceling mic it can reduce background noise for clear communication.
- Measures 3.5 x 15 x 8.5 inches
- Weighs 4 pounds
- Seven-Color control panel
- Full CB operation; Switch over to emergency channel 9 fast
- One-button touch access to NOAA weather channels
- Noise Canceling Mic
- Excellent antenna matching thanks to its high quality, integrated SWR
Value for money and affordably priced with an easy setup are what consumers are saying about this CB radio. It doesn’t wow in its aesthetics and the display can be lackluster, especially during the daytime, there have been lots of complaints. However, one compliment on the display is that the lighting offers quick and clear reading from a distance – very important when you’re distracted on the road.
The audio is decent for day-to-day use. There is a lot of happiness with the crisp, clear signal, even when out of reception of most signal towers. Consumers suggest that you get a really good antenna to assist with range.
More on the pricier side, this CB radio has received mixed reviews, although generally favorable for its crystal-clear audio and quality. The display seems to be the main sticking point, but options such as access to weather channels and the emergency channel are hailed as necessary and important features.
This CB radio will give you confidence on your drive as you stay connected and able to communicate while on your off-road drive. It has a formidable and resilient look about it that stands out and will impress the hard-core trailblazers. The display is customizable, large, and easy to read as well as and convenient when your attention is on the road.
- Messures 15 x 1.5 x 8.5 inches
- Weighs 4.3 pounds
- 4-watt CB transmitter with a range of up to 20 miles
- Transmits on 40 channels
- Access to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration weather reports
- A dedicated channel for emergency use
- Progressive squelch regulator
- Automatic Noise Limiting control
- Microphone that filters ambient noise
- LCD with 7 colors to choose from
- 2 years warranty and great customer service
This radio is great value for money and is easy to set up. One disadvantage is the display which is not great in direct sunlight. There are complaints that after installation, the screen was going dims and fails to display certain characters. Consumers appreciate its crystal-clear signal, but most consumers advise you to get a professional to assist with the correct tune-up.
Aside from display issues Uniden BEARCAT 880 CB radio (learn more) makes a great buy, particularly if you’re looking for a standard radio with perfect audio and great range. It is a bit more costly than its competitors but many consumers have rated it as worth the money.
The display ensures usability in low-light conditions and the dimmer ensure it’s adjustable as lighting conditions change. The radio is affordable, and the system is easy to navigate. The actual quality of the hardware is low as well as the AM RF output.
CB Radio Features 101
- Squelch control: A squelch button can cancel any background sound, for example, it will be usefull when another signal interrupts your communication with someone.
- RF Gain: used to block out faint transmissions and rid communication of background noise. This feature can be utilized to better hear weaker signals.
- PA Capability: Do you want to use your radio and microphone as a public address system? This combined with a PA horn will allow you to do just that.
- Automatic Noise Limited (ANL): This feature removes static, engine noise, and other audio interference which will improve reception and sound quality.
- Weather capabilities: gives you access to NOAA radio stations in real-time
- Instant Channel 9: gives riders the capability of reaching out to emergency channels if you require assistance
- Backlit displays: Useful if you find yourself driving in low-light conditions or at night
- Channel Scanning: This is similar to radio scanner to find people already communicating on channels
- Single Side Band (SSB): SSB equipped radios can give you 3 times more transmission ranges.
What you need to set up a CB Radio in your Jeep
One of the best things about being a Jeep owner is to get away from the rat race and take your vehicle off-road on an adventure. However, being so far off the grid can come with its concerns as you disconnect and go off the grid. What happens when you wind up in some trouble and need assistance, and you’re out of cellphone signal range?
CB radios are easy to install and use and solve your communication issues. By selecting the best kind of CB radio for yourself and ensuring that it is set up well and finely tuned, you can avoid trail disasters and ruining a great off-roading trip.
Here is the hardware that you’ll need to properly fit a CB radio:
- Antenna: One of the most important parts of your CB radio is your antenna. Ideally, the longer the antenna, the better your reception and range will be. In principle, you should have at least half of the antenna above the Jeep’s roofline. Antennas can be fitted to the hood or fender, the bumper, the spare tire mount, or the taillight. Look for a quality antenna, especially if you opt for a cheaper CB. A two or three-foot antenna can get you a range of two to three miles while an 18-foot antenna can offer you about a 10-mile range of communication.
- CB Radio: As you can tell from this guide there is a lot of variety that comes with picking a CB from the display to the functions to whether the radio should be fitted or portable. A mobile CB radio requires a separate power source, while the fitted base is more favored for its clear sound and wider reach.
- Coax Cable: This cable connects the antenna to the CB radio and is a necessity that is not always thought about when purchasing your CB radio. You must ensure that the cable you have can hold up under adverse weather conditions without rusting or tearing up.
- SWR Meter: Tuning is crucial to a functioning CB radio system so if you can get a professional to assist you – take advantage of a professional’s skills. However, if you would like to tune the radio yourself you will need an SWR meter that is affordable and will be able to indicate how well your radio is transmitting the signal.
What is a CB Radio?
Created in the 1940s, CB or Citizen Band radios are a short-range radio communication tool that can be installed in your Jeep to transmit and receive CB radio signals. Some CB radios offer additional features like access to emergency and weather channels should you need assistance or more information on your adventures.
What are some advantages and limitations of a CB radio?
The CB radio’s best feature is that it’s easy to use, to install and it’s portable. You can fit it in your car or keep it mobile and use it when you’re out hiking or camping. One disadvantage is the range that can particularly be affected by your environments such as high-density trees, buildings, or mountains.